Get Ready for Band Camp
Please know and understand that about 90% of what we do takes place outside in the heat. In order to help protect students from heat exhaustion there are guidelines in place. We are trying to educate them about the heat as well.
- Eat a light breakfast before coming to camp. Avoid dairy, sodas, and grease.
- Hydrate! Hydrate! Hydrate! Drink PLENTY of WATER every evening following rehearsal. Water is provided, but students are encouraged to bring their own personal jug coolers to rehearsal. Please drink cool water and not cold water. It takes longer for cold water to hydrate you. Before it can be distributed your body, your body has to bring it to body temperature. In some cases, when really hot, ice cold water can shock your system.
- Wear light colored clothing, hats, and sunglasses (school appropriate please and avoid jeans & dark shirts)
- Tennis shoes (no open toes, no high-top sneakers); it is very important to wear quality athletic footwear. The asphalt practice field will take its toll on your feet, so be prepared!
- Always use PLENTY of sunscreen! Re-apply at least every hour.
- Bring a change of clothes (in case it rains)
- Bring healthy snacks
- Always bring your instrument, music, and pencils
- Eat healthy carbs for dinner
We, the staff (adults) make every effort to monitor students for signs of heat exhaustion and give them frequent water breaks; however, it is ultimately the responsibility of the students and parents to see that guidelines are followed to avoid illness.